08 December 2007

Meat loaf

Yesterday I prepared meat loaf (pain de veau), according to my aunt A's recipe. This was a joint cooking venture with labelga from Leafy Cooking.

Serves 4

750 g ground meat (I used beef, my aunt suggests half beef, half pork)
1 egg
1 small onion (my aunt suggests 4 onions or shallots)
breadcrumbs (my aunt suggests using dry bread, soaked in milk)
a few sprigs of fresh parsley, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
pepper and salt
2-3 bay leaves to put on top

Mix everything well. Give it the form of a loaf, add bay leaves, put it in a greased oven dish and bake for 1-2 hrs at 180° C.

Note: My aunt used to add lots of vegetables such as carrots, kohlrabi, spring onion, red pepper and mushrooms. I didn't bother on this occasion. Sometimes I also add chives.
My loaf took around 1 hr to bake.

Beforehand it doesn't look all that appetizing

it needs messing about

ready to go in the oven

coming out

and served

with steamed potatoes and pumpkin ratatouille. We used sweet potato in stead of courgettes and one red pepper in the ratatouille, and we didn't need to add sugar as it already tasted deliciously sweet.

It was real comfort food, with comfort feet.

Outside the Christmas market has started, showing this view from my window.


This morning I was given two sets of 1930's door handles by a neighbour. I was very happy because in the appartment that I recently bought, most of the original door handles have disappeared, so I'm on the hunt.

4 comments:

mamamia said...

mmm, ziet er weer lekker uit
en fantastisch deurklinken!
daar moeten we woensdag op klinken ;-))

Oleandri said...

dat klinkt goed ;-)

Anonymous said...

hehehe, you posted the raw meat ánd the messing about. Thanks for your aunt's recipe as well. Excellent meal, this was.

Oleandri said...

yes I enjoyed it too ;-)