29 December 2007

Pumpkin and hazelnut cake

Recently I copied this Spanish recipe from Larousse's 'Les cuisines du monde'. I decided to try it for my yearly get together with my friends from school.

Serves 10-12

400 g pumpkin, peeled and chopped (weight is without peel and seeds)
4 eggs
40 cl sunflower oil
350 g flour
200 g sugar
200 g ground hazelnuts
a little butter
3 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt

Steam the pumpkin until soft. Let it drain in a sieve overnight.
Crush it with a fork or using a handmixer.
Add eggs and oil and whisk everything.
Mix flour, sugar, ground hazelnuts, cinnamon and salt, and add this to the pumpkin mixture.
Mix well.
Grease an oven dish or cake tin with butter and add the mixture.
Bake for 50'-1hr at 180°C, until a knife comes out dry when you stick it in the cake.

Note: Unless you have a huge party, use half the quantities mentioned.

Unfortunately my cake was in competition with 3 delicious pies from Les tartes de Françoise.


So I took some of it home again and had a piece for breakfast.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delish. I see it's moist and I like to eat such things for breakfast as well.

Oleandri said...

There's still some left, so if you come to Brussels, pop in for a taste.