09 December 2007

Christmas tree felling

My friends in the countryside own a small wood with Christmas trees and each year they invite their friends who want a tree to come and fell it. I didn't want a tree - I'm not so Christmassy and I still have a small Japanese cardboard specimen if I really feel like it - but I went and enjoyed the other goodies ;-)

Fantastic cheeses, with delicious home baked breads (maybe the recipe can be posted here?)

accompanied by cold meats

and pumpkin soup - made from home grown pumpkin - to which you could add 'croûtons'

so it looked like this

served with great wine - two types of red (a Sancerre and a Côtes d'Anjou if I remember correctly) and a white, which is supposed to be the best to serve with cheese

and then there was dessert, served by a tiny hand.

What a feast! Thanks guys!

As my friends also function as a kind of private library, I was handed a new load of books to read:

Colum McCann: This side of brightness
Haruki Murakami: Norwegian Wood
Richard Yates: Revolutionary Road
E.L. Doctorow: Ragtime
André Aciman: Call me by your name

I had brought these back:

Dave Eggers: What is the what (fantastic)
Sandro Veronesi: Kalme chaos (fantastic and hilarious)
David Mitchell: Black Swan Green (not bad)
Haruki Murakami: A wild sheep chase (not mad about it, too surrealistic for my taste)

and I've just started reading
Jonathan Safran Foer: Extremely loud & incredibly close (reads 'like a train').

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great report! I totally agree about soon posting the recipe for the bread.