15 July 2007

Stoemp me sossis

Because of the cold weather last week I got a craving for a Belgian speciality and typical winter dish: sausages with a mash of potatoes and other vegetables.

I made the stoemp with andijvie (no idea what it's called in English, not endives, that's something different). It looks like a long lettuce with curly leaves and the taste is a bit bitter.
I steamed the potatoes and cooked the andijvie separately in butter; then mashed everything together and added more butter, pepper and salt. It tasted great, esp. with a Belgian brown beer to go with it. Lots of butter is the key to a nice tasting mash.
Afterwards I checked a traditional recipe which recommended to boil the andijvie together with the potatoes.

2 comments:

Beatrijs (11) said...

O yes, it is called "endives"; the other one (witlof) is called "belgian or brussels endive".
Hmmm... your recipe makes me hungry.

Oleandri said...

OK, good to know, thanks!