28 July 2007

Sardines

On Wednesday my friend and me decided to cook together. I felt like eating fish and I still had a memory of delicious sardines from my trip to Portugal. So I went to a Moroccan fishmonger and got sardines that looked really fresh. The man also told me how to cook them in the oven.

Serves 2

10 sardines
2-3 potatoes, sliced very thinly
4-5 tomatoes, partly sliced and partly cut in wedges
bunch of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 lemon
olive oil

Take an oven dish and put a layer of sliced tomatoes at the bottom. Add a layer of sliced potatoes. Add pepper & salt and sprinkle garlic and coriander leaves over it. Then put the sardines on top and add tomato wedges and some more garlic, coriander and pepper & salt.
Cut one third off the lemon and squeeze this over the dish. Cut the remainder of the lemon in slices and add them on top. Sprinkle 1-2 tbsp olive oil over the dish. Last but not least add some water, there should be about 0,5 cm in the dish. I wouldn't have thought of that but the fishmonger told me.
Bake in the oven at very high temperature (200 °C or more) for 20-40 min.

This is what the sardines looked like before cooking

and on a plate

We finished the whole dish and licked our fingers!
Afterwards we just about managed to squeeze in a little bit of lettuce

Note: The fishmonger told me that if you cook sardines in the oven, the insides need to be taken out. If you grill them, it's not necessary. He also said that I could substitute the potatoes for carrots. He advised against cooking courgettes with the sardines.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this looks really yummy, before and after. Nice and helpful tips on sardines, didn't know this.

Anonymous said...

Cooking adventures are currently in a bottleneck situation in your portfolio, so manifold as they are... ;-)