15 July 2007

Almost Friday the 13th

Once in a while it still happens: I burn my food...


Fortunately we had a nice dessert to compensate: a bolo de arroz (rice cake) from a Portuguese bakery in Brussels. I served it with a cup of coffee with a pau de canela (cinnamon stick), which I brought from Portugal; I think they use it there to stir in their coffee but as I'm not a coffee drinker I'm not sure. I prefer herbal infusions like cidreira (citroenmelisse in Dutch, not sure what it is in English).

The day after, on Friday the 13th, things went better. Finally a day of Summer weather in Belgium after weeks of rain and cold. I went to the Blue Note Records Festival in Gent, to see India.Arie and Guru's Jazzmatazz. It was in a fantastic location, the garden of a former abbey, and the festival setup was very stylish. You could drink sparkling rosé wine in the proper glasses! The concerts were great - Guru esp. got the tent shaking - and in between them our Belgian stars Tom Barman and Mauro Pawlowski did a fantastic job at their turntables.
It was a beautiful night, and in the morning, nothing better than a nice brunch to deal with the effect of al this sparkling wine.

The dish in the middle has mussels and potatoes and courgettes and tomatoes and garlic and parmezan.... it was delicious! Maybe R can tell us the recipe?
Next to it are a salad with rucola and a fruit salad.

No comments: