09 May 2007

Brussels goodies

One week ago I had friends over from the UK, so I stocked up on a lot of goodies from Brussels, before fleeing with them to the countryside. One night we had a big dinner.

One speciality here are 'grijze garnalen', a small type of shrimp. I got a salad with these and another one with crab from a renowned fishmonger. We had this on toast as an appetizer.

One very small hand was tucking in:

As a main course I prepared a chicken stew. I've posted it here before, just used carrots and parsley in stead of Jerusalem artichokes and coriander.

This is what was inside the pot:

And this is what it looked like on a plate:

In Belgium this is the season for strawberries. Labelga brought some along:

I had also gotten ice cream from the adventurous ice cream maker Comus & Gasterea, just around the corner from my appartment in Brussels. His ice cream is excellent, made from top quality ingredients, and he makes strange tastes such as curry, ginger, rose, chocolat sorbet...The owner has a rather oldfashioned approach, so I wasn't surprised not to find a website. I did find a few sites mentioning him though, such as this article in the newspaper Le Soir.

I went for classics: vanilla,

strawberry


and mango.

Everything met with success ;-)

Thank you labelga for all the pics!

No comments: