04 February 2008

One of those Sundays

You start with old books

- the monks made jokes, once in a while, while copying the manuscripts.


Then you have lunch, with a quickly whipped-up soup - pumpkin and parsnip, with a little onion and leek, according to my basic soup recipe - and bubbles, provided by our generous host,

and for dessert: castagnaccio, photographed in a Zen setting.

After a meal like this, we were ready for more culture and went for a walk to discover interbellum architecture in Dilbeek.

And after that, we were ready for a drink

at a favourite spot, where Italian was spoken - appropriately, as Italian travel plans were made, while sipping our negroni's -

and a Chinese meal at Xu Ji, 5 rue des Poissonniers in Brussels, where we got authentic Chinese food (as far as we are able to judge) and terrific wonton soup.


If you ever try this place, here's a tip: go for the 'petits plats' (small dishes) on the menu, hidden a few pages behind the average and more touristy stuff.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent! Wow, those books, impressive in pictures. I am amazed. Still laboring on photoalbums..

Oleandri said...

Yeah these pics came out well.

Stella said...

Whenever I read your blogs, I wish I could be there in person to enjoy some of these tasty treats. I think I will have to come to Belgium soon and request a delicious meal- I will provide the bubbly a volonte.

Oleandri said...

Well, we had a great day, and labelga was guide and host. Do come over - we really want to see Sophie. Labelga and me will start thinking about the menu ;-)