25 February 2008

Checking out birds

Once in a while I go to the countryside with a real birdwatcher and I get pointed out loads of different birds. I also get told about their sounds. And afterwards I forget 90% of this lesson.
No pics of birds though, because out there it's not as easy to photograph them as when they're sitting on the crane outside my window.

We went to a nature reserve in Harchies.

But actually, when you watch birds, you see the landscape like this:

All the species are duly noted

This was only the beginning of the list, because in total we saw 55 different species, of which the most spectacular were: grote zaagbek (Mergus merganser), grote zilverreiger (Egretta alba) en cetti's zanger (Cettia cetti).

Nature lovers don't always pick up their garbage

Apart from birds we also saw lovey dovey donkeys


There's lots of water


which all of a sudden looked very strange

a natural fenomenon, caused by a tiny plant, eendenkroos (Lemna)

We had lunch and couleur locale at Au Moulin, a restaurant in Ville-Pommeroeul, which we had great difficulty in reaching because of overzealous guards of a cyclists' race.

In the afternoon we walked in the woods of la forêt domaniale de Beloeil and stretched out on the leaves for a little break.


Another nice Sunday!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I laughed so hard here at a few things. Great report. Hope the bird watcher it temped to read it :-)

Oleandri said...

hehe, I've added another pic here. And am waiting for your report ;-)

mamamia said...

I had LOL too just reading this report!!

Oleandri said...

I wonder what's so funny ;-)