24 March 2009

Lamb stew with Jerusalem artichoke and peas

I celebrated the start of Spring with the first dinner party in my new appartment.

It was a beautiful day and I went to butcher Frank in St-Gillis by bike. The friend who had tipped us on this butcher was there and gave me good purchasing advice and recommended me to the butcher. I took delicious meat home.

The dish I chose comes from the book of Jewish food by Claudia Roden and was inspired by a gift I received from a friend's garden.

Serves 6

1-1.5 kg lamb
3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
4 tbsp oil e.g. sunflower
500 g Jerusalem artichokes, peeled
juice of 1/2 lemon
500 g peas (I used frozen)

Fry the meat in oil until it's brown and add the garlic in the end. Add pepper and salt and cover with hot water. Bring to the boil, then cook on low heat for 1.5 hr.
Add big slices of Jerusalem artichoke, pepper and salt, lemon juice and more water if necessary.
Cook for 15 min and add peas.
Cook for another 5 min.


I served this with steamed potatoes.
Before we had a beef broth with finely cut vegetables and Hungarian soup pasta.
The dessert was baked apples.
The whole menu met with success.

No comments: