07 November 2007

Pumpkin and quince stew

Last month I had friends over for dinner and now I'll finally share a delicious recipe with you that I prepared that day. It's a sweet dish with pumpkin and quince that accompanies a couscous, in stead of oignons confits for instance. The recipe comes from Claudia Roden's 'The book of Jewish food' and she calls it 'Hlou aux coings et potiron'. I love quince almost as much as pumpkin, so I really wanted to try this combination.


Serves 4-5

2-3 tbsp sunflower oil
100 g sugar
1 big onion, chopped
250 g pumpkin, peeled and chopped
2 quince, peeled and chopped
juice of 1/2 lemon

Heat oil with sugar until sugar starts to caramelize and get brown.
Add onion and fry for 5 min.
Add pumpkin and quince and lemon juice, add water until everything is just covered.
Let the dish simmer for 45 min.
The mixture should be thick, like a jam.
Serve hot or cold with couscous.

The taste was fantastic and the dish was a great success with my guests.

I prepared the couscous according to Claudia Roden's basic recipe, which I won't copy here.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Delish! I have to give up on non-flash photos, as some are dark.

Anonymous said...

Correction, they (the pictures) are looking actually very clear: with a better screen!