11 March 2007

Blinis

Today two friends came over for lunch. I decided to make blinis. I love them but had never prepared them myself up til now.
We had them with smoked salmon and sour cream of course, and I also served tarama (fish eggs), a sweet potato and carrot ajlouk (see previous post) and a salad with mixed lettuce, rucola, grated carrot, chopped fennel, boiled red beetroot and grilled walnuts. This was accompanied by a little lemon and parsley.
The blini recipe comes from Sarah Brown's Vegetarian Cookbook, which was my cooking bible when I was a student and went through a vegetarian phase.


Serves 4

15 g fresh yeast
1,5 tsp sugar
240 ml warm water
3 eggs
150 g wheat flour
150 g buckwheat flour
pinch salt
butter for baking

Crumble yeast and sugar together, add the warm water and let this stand for 5 min until it gets creamy and frothy. Beat the egg yolks through this mixture.
Mix both flours with the salt. Add the yeast mixture and beat the dough until it looks like a thick cream.
Cover it with a kitchen towel and let it rise in a warm spot for 1 hour, until the volume has doubled. Beat it down with a whisk or wooden spoon.
Beat the egg whites and add them carefully to the mixture. Let it rise for another 20 min.
Heat a little butter in a pan. Add a tbsp of dough and fry both sides for 2-3 min on medium heat. You can bake 2-3 pancakes at the same time in one pan.
Serve them hot.

Note: I kept the blinis hot in a lightly greased oven dish, covered with aluminum foil. I put this in the oven at very low heat.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks truly delicious with that salmon, mmm! I will certainly try it. The salad sounds great too, any picture by chance?
I've been ogling aunt M. second apples in the oven recipe, but haven't made it, as I was stuck with stirring a risotto.

Oleandri said...

It was delicious and very easy to make. You just need a little time for the dough to rise. The salad was good too, but no pic, I focused on the blinis ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oleandri, I showed your post to Anastasia (Ukrainian). Apparently the Ukrainian shop has a 2nd dépendance near you. You could try silotka (herring).

Oleandri said...

On Sunday I discovered a Russian supermarket, near de Kapellekerk. Open on Sunday too. But the weather was too good to go inside and see what they've got.