18 November 2006

Thai pumpkin and coconut dessert

A long time ago, an Indonesian roommate taught me how to cook this simple dessert, which she called kolak.
I also found a recipe in 'THAILAND The Beautiful Cookbook' by Kevin Weldon.
I used palm sugar (gula djawa) which I found in an oriental supermarket but you can use any type of sugar.

Serves 4

5 dl coconut milk
60g sugar
300g pumpkin, chopped (weight without skin or seeds)

Heat the coconut milk with the sugar. When it boils, add the pumpkin and let it simmer for 15 min. until soft. Serve cold.

This is the version from the book. My roommate boiled the pumpkin in water and added a glass of coconut milk in the end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent work, Oleandri! I have a personal delivery for you: 2 orange pumpkins, and one zucca gialla.