15 April 2007

Shallot tart

I like dishes with lots of onions or shallots.


Puff pastry
500 g shallots, peeled and sliced
red wine or red wine vinegar
vegetable or chicken stock
200 g smoked bacon, in small cubes
125 g mozzarella, in cubes
1 tbsp sugar
butter

Fry the shallots for a few min. in butter.
Add sugar and fry this for 1-2 min.
Add a little wine (or wine vinegar) and top up with stock; the shallots should be just covered.
Add very little or no salt.
Let it simmer for 30 min. until the shallots are cooked and all liquid has evaporated.
Roll out the puff pastry in a baking tin, add bacon and mozzarella, put the shallots on top.
Bake this for 30 min at 200 °C.
I served it with a salad of mixed lettuce, raw fennel and roast pine nuts, seasoned with gomasio, pepper and olive oil.

Note:
I used red wine, it's delicious.
I sliced the shallots but you can also leave them whole.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm! Onions and shallots are so underrated, I like them, and am definitely going to try this dish.

Anonymous said...

Oleandri, I'll be watching you here!

Oleandri said...

lol! I'll be watching you too ;-)