11 December 2006

Chicken in coconut sauce

Yesterday my cousin who lives in Tanzania told me she prepares this dish very often there. It's a recipe by Claudia Roden, also called macalcal or masala chicken. I still had one pumpkin left that my other cousin gave me, so I decided to add this.


Serves 6

4 onions, chopped
4 tbsp sunflower or sesame seed oil
6 garlic cloves
7 cm ginger root, crushed or ground
1 tsp turmeric
6 pieces of chicken (e.g. breasts)
salt
a lot of white pepper
500 g potatoes
500 g pumpkin
1 can coconut milk or 75 g santen (creamed coconut)
1 tsp sugar
100 g cashew nuts or almonds
2 tbsp raisins

Fry the onions on low heat in the oil until they are soft and golden.
Add garlic and fry for a few more minutes.
Add ginger and turmeric and stir this.
Add the pieces of chicken and pepper and salt. Fry this a bit and turn the chicken around.
After 5 min, add the potatoes, pumpkin and coconut milk. Add hot water until everything is just covered.
Let the dish simmer for 30-45 min until everything is cooked.
Add cashew nuts or almonds and raisins and heat for a few min.

No comments: