30 October 2006

Stuffed courgettes

After a busy week and week-end, today I finally had time to cook again and I got inspired in the supermarket. I bought lots of vegetables:


Stuffed courgettes - zucchine ripiene

This is how I usually stuff courgettes, based on an Italian recipe.

Serves 2

2 courgettes
180 g ground meat (e.g. pork or beef)
chopped parsley
grated parmesan
bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
pepper & salt

Boil the courgettes for 3-4 min.
Slice them in half and take out the flesh with a spoon. Cut half of the flesh finely and put the remainder away for another use.
Mix the meat with the zucchini flesh and the other ingredients.
Fill the courgette halves with this mixture and put them in a dish, greased with olive oil.
Put in the oven at 180°C until the meat is cooked (around 40 min.).

Notes

If you use round courgettes, let them boil for a bit longer. They also need to bake longer than the long ones.
Tonight I left out the parmesan and I added a little bacon, but I prefer it without bacon.
If you make bigger quantities, don't use more than 1 or 2 eggs.


I had the stuffed courgettes with a carrot, turnip and yellow pepper tzimmes (see Fennel tzimmes on previous post, with cumin seeds and a little sugar) and steamed potatoes coated in olive oil.

No comments: