06 October 2007

Pears with star anise

My mother gave me pears from her garden, a special variety called St-Rémi, which you need to cook. I was inspired by labelga's recipe for stewed pears with star anise and cardamom.
I left out the sugar as she recommended and added honey instead.
I also left out the cinnamon as I wasn't sure how this would combine with the other spices, and used bigger quantities of those.

4 pears
2 star anise
5 pieces of cardamom
2 tsp honey

Peel the pears, remove stalks and cores, and cut them in pieces.
Put them in a pan with a bit of water (they should not be completely covered) with spices and honey. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer for 45 min.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you like them? Would they go in a pie with pumpkin? What would, instead of cheese?

Oleandri said...

They were delicious! The sugar wasn't needed, the honey gave a very delicate sweet taste. I especially loved the star anise, it makes the dish taste of pastis ;-)
Do you want a sweet or savoury pumpkin pie? I've already posted two sweet recipes.